Saturday, March 11, 2017

Hotchpot..or at least that is what it was supposed to be

As Anyone can imagine, its not easy planning things out with three daughters who are all completely different from each other. This time I let my pickiest eater choose the recipe from the book. She decided since our state is going through 1 of its many winter weather rotations...that soup would be perfect. She picked out a recipe called "Winter Hotchpot" . I checked through the ingredients and as luck would have it I already had most of them. All I needed was some kind of bacon, some veggie stock, and some leeks. "This will be an easy trip" I believe was the words I used. Little did I know that those words would be taken as a challenge by my kids. I could almost see them look at each other and nod as they formulated a plan to make this trip not be so easy.  Well long story short , it took 3 times longer than I wanted it to. The bright side? The hard part was over.  Now it was time for the fun part where I make memories with my munchkins. And since my kids are picky, the Winter hotchpot became chicken and rice soup because they wanted chicken instead of the bacon and we couldn't find barley so we used rice.

Here is the recipe:



Here is our adventure:


I always try to get a picture of my oldest cutting up stuff because its her favorite part. This time I missed most of it but I got her going at the garlic.

Poor garlic never saw it coming. 

All the ingredients heating up
My middle child loves pouring things in

The start of the yumminess 

Finished product. Not too shabby for a Hotchpot gone chicken noodle


Made the house smell fantastic and was the perfect meal for the cold day.

Rating time!!
My Girls rating: 3/3 slurped it all up and said it tasted real good with alittle extra salt and pepper
My rating: I really enjoyed it even though I went alittle crazy with the rice... maybe next time Ill actually measure it

My dad had some too and he really liked it. He said this and the Minestrone I made before reminded him of when mom used to make soups. And as any cook would agree... there is no compliment higher than being compared to mommas home cooking. So I guess you can say I'm gaining more than just amazing memories with my children. 







1 comment:

  1. Looks good. I never heard of Hotchpot before. I might have to try it

    ReplyDelete